Thursday, April 21, 2011

First Thoughts:

After over four years apart, my best friend and I are back together again...living in the same house, no less. As pleased as I am with my new situation, I can't say it came about without a certain amount of internal conflict. For whatever reason, I've always subscribed to the notion that personal growth comes as a result of changing ones geographic location. After returning home from college last summer, a long winter ensued of alternately resigning myself to a life sentence in metro-Detroit and designing panicked and ill-thought out plans to escape (including farm work in Hawaii, teaching English in the Philippines, and most recently, performing housekeeping duties on a ranch in rural Montana). But over the past few months, a revelation has been percolating in my bloodstream: true growth can only really ever come from within.

That doesn't mean I don't recognize that being in a new location can be truly inspiring; traveling is its own sort of high, and I plan to see as much of the world as I can. I don't doubt the importance of experiencing new cultures and meeting different kinds of people. To be sure, these things all contribute to a full and rich life. What I'm saying is I don't want to feel limited by my location, like I'm jipping myself. And since I've been back, I've experienced a Detroit I never knew was here. I can't think of the last time there was a dull moment.


The plan for this blog is for me and Big V to spend as much time as we possibly can doing what we love to do, seeking inspiration from our surroundings and the people we encounter along the way. Stay tuned to see where it goes from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment